Interested in urban farming? Consider our apprenticeship program!
Looking for an opportunity to learn how to start an urban farm, grow fresh produce, and gain marketing experience? Enjoy working with others, getting involved in your community, and being outdoors? Consider an apprenticeship with the Lansing Urban Farm Project (LUFP) at Urbandale Farm!
• Apprenticeships run from early May through early November, about 20 hours/week, and include a mix of instruction, farm work, market experience, and field trips.
• Apprentices receive a stipend of $4000 over the course of the program.
• Apprenticeships are open to all Lansing-area residents, and we especially encourage applications from those who live in the Urbandale Farm service neighborhood (bordered by 496, Clemens, Kalamazoo, and 127).
To RSVP or for more information, call 517.999.3916 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Interest in learning how to grow and market local food, and to engage in urban farming as a community-building effort.
- Physical requirement: Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions and perform a diverse set of farm tasks that will include lifting and carrying heavy objects (as much as 40 pounds at times).
- Must be available to attend the program for its entire duration for about 20 hours per week. The schedule will include farm and field experiences 4 mornings a week (Tuesday through Friday, 8am-noon), plus a rotating market schedule to include Wednesday afternoons at the Allen Street Farmer’s Market and Saturday morning/afternoons at the Urbandale Farm Stand. No more than 5 program days may be missed (throughout the whole program) before stipend payments are affected.
- Applicants must undergo a background check. This is the policy followed by Allen Neighborhood Center to screen all staff and volunteers.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to attend one of three information sessions before applying. Those sessions will take place on Saturday, January 28th at 1:00 p.m. , Monday, February 13th at 6:00 p.m. and Thursday, February 23rd at 6:00 p.m. at the Allen Market Place Conference Room, 1629 E. Kalamazoo St. (Enter through the north door)..
Thank you for your interest in the Apprenticeship Program!
Contact us at 517-999-3916 or email email@example.com for more information or to RSVP for the info session.
Partial funding for LUFP apprenticeships comes from the Capitol Region Community Foundation and the Ingham County Land Bank.