2017 Application available for download here:
2017 Application for Urbandale Farm Apprenticeship Program
Urbandale Farm Apprenticeship Program Application for 2017 (Pg 1)
Urbandale Farm will select four apprentices for the 2017 Apprenticeship Program. The program provides opportunities to learn how to start and run an urban farm and acquire hands-on experience in growing and marketing produce. The program is an intensive experience in farm work, training, and marketing.
- Apprenticeships run from May 1 through November 3, about 20 hours/week, and include a mix of field work, instruction, market experience, and field trips.
- The standard schedule is 8am-noon, Tuesday through Friday. The rotating market schedule includes either Wednesday, 1pm-8pm (ASFM); Saturday, 9am-3pm (Farm Stand); or Wednesday continuing until 2pm (Sparrow); rotating with some weeks with no markets. The schedule also includes essential weekend duties for up to 4 weekends.
- Apprentices receive a stipend of $4000 over the course of the program.
- Apprenticeships are open to all Lansing-area residents, and we especially encourage applications from those who live in the Urbandale Farm service neighborhood (bordered by 496, Clemens, Kalamazoo, and 127).
Requirements for Apprentices
- Strong interest in learning how to grow and market local food, and to engage in urban farming as a community-building effort.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions (rain, extreme heat, cold) and perform a diverse set of farm tasks that includes squatting, kneeling, bending, and lifting and carrying heavy objects (as much as 40 pounds at times). The physical requirements are rigorous!
- Ability to work cooperatively with other apprentices, farm volunteers, neighbors, and staff is essential to running the farm and creating a positive learning community.
- Must be available to attend the program for its entire duration and be on time for all commitments. No more than 5 program days may be missed throughout the entire program.
- Applicants must undergo a background check.
- Commitment to living and growing in Lansing neighborhoods is a plus.
- Interest in pursuing a career in urban farming or within the local food system or participating in the Lansing Roots program is also considered a plus.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to volunteer on the farm and to attend an information session to learn more about the farm before (or during) the interview process.
Thank you for your interest in the Apprenticeship Program!
Contact us at 517-999-3916 for more information.
Urbandale Farm Apprenticeship Program Application for 2017 (Pg 2)
- On a separate piece of paper, answer the following questions (please limit yourself to 2 pages or less):
- Explain why you want to become an apprentice at Urbandale Farm.
- Describe how your recent work, volunteer, and/or educational experiences prepare you for this program.
- Explain how you plan to utilize the skills you gain through the program.
- The program involves working closely with managers, interns, volunteers, and the other apprentices as a team. Tell us about the skills or characteristics you possess that allow you to work cooperatively with others and give examples.
- Describe your experience with outdoor physical labor. How will you handle the strenuous conditions of the program?
- On a separate piece of paper, include your resume or list of prior experiences (education, work, volunteer, etc).
- List names and phone numbers for three references who know you in a work, volunteer, or educational setting (such as a teacher, mentor, supervisor, or manager) and who are NOT friends or family. We will ask them to comment on personal characteristics such as your dependability, openness to feedback about performance, and your ability to cooperate and communicate with others.
|Name||Relationship to you||Phone Number|
For background checks:
Your date of birth: ____________Signature:____________________________
Return all application materials by 5pm on Friday, March 3rd to:
Lansing Urban Farm Project
c/o Allen Neighborhood Center
1611 E. Kalamazoo Street
Lansing, MI 48912
Or by email to Laura: